Weekly Wrap-Up: August 26, 2013 - August 30, 2013
Aug 30, 2013
- American Vegetable Soybean and Edamame Plant Tour: This week I took a great tour of the American Vegetable Soybean and Edamame, plant in Mulberry. I had the opportunity to observe edamame processing, visit with employees, and learn more about their overall operation. Here is a photo from my tour.
- Unlawful Obamacare Subsidies: On Wednesday I sent letters to both President Obama and Office of Personnel Management Acting Director Elaine Kaplan, to express my opposition to OPM's decision to circumvent Obamacare's requirements by unlawfully providing government health-care subsidies for Members of Congress and their staffs. More information can be found here and text of the letters can be found here and here.
- Danville Lions Club: On Monday, I attended the Danville Lions Club lunch meeting where I discussed foreign policy, specifically the escalating situation in Syria and my recent trip to Israel. Following my remarks I answered a few questions from club members. It was a great afternoon in Danville and I appreciated the opportunity to attend their meeting!
- Hot Springs Chamber Breakfast: I spent Thursday morning in Hot Springs where I addressed the Hot Springs Chamber Breakfast about foreign policy. The majority of my address also focused on the escalating situation in Syria. For a recap of my address, be sure to check out this article in the Hot Springs Sentinel-Record.
- Ouachita River Valley Association: This week also took me to Camden where I spoke to the Ouachita River Valley Association convention about their priorities and the issues they are facing. The convention focused specifically on multi-purpose development of water and land resources in the Ouachita River Basin. To read more about my visit don’t miss this article from the Camden News!
- Hot Springs UPS Facility Visit: I had a great tour of the Hot Springs UPS facility this week where I learned more about their operations both here in Arkansas and across the country. I also met with employees and discussed their day to day responsibilities. Here is a photo from my visit.
- District Meetings: I had several meetings this week all around Arkansas. As a member of the Financial Services Committee I appreciated the opportunity to meet with the Northwest Arkansas and Fort Smith Arvest Bankers and discuss regulatory issues. The Arkansas Forest Supervisors, Arkansas HomeCare Association, and Arkansas Arthritis Foundation were all kind enough to stop by my Hot Springs Office and update me on their work.