Weekly Wrap-Up: July 15, 2013 - July 19, 2013
Jul 19, 2013
- Bill Bennett Radio Interview: Tuesday morning I discussed immigration on the Bill Bennett Morning in America Radio Show. As I wrote last week in this Wall Street Journal op-ed, America is a nation of immigrants, but we're also a nation of laws, and the U.S. immigration system should respect both traditions.
- Financial Services Committee Hearings: This week, I attended two Financial Services Committee hearings. On Wednesday Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke provided his semiannual report during the “Monetary Policy and the State of the Economy" hearing. Thursday, the Committee looked at the PATH Act during a hearing entitled “A Legislative Proposal to Protect American Taxpayers and Homeowners by Creating a Sustainable Housing Finance System”. Be sure to read the Financial Services Committee blog to learn more about the PATH Act.
- Vote on Obamacare’s Employer Mandate: Wednesday, the House voted to legally delay Obamacare's employer mandate by one year. The President can’t pick and choose which laws he will enforce. He swore to faithfully execute the laws of the land—all of them. I’m grateful to Arkansas’s own, Congressman Tim Griffin, for his work on this bill.
- Meeting with Vice Admiral Bushong: Thursday, I had the pleasure of meeting with Vice Admiral Paul Bushong, US Security Coordinator for Israel and the Palestinian Authority (USSC). We discussed the USSC mission to consult with Israeli and Palestinian officials regarding security cooperation. I appreciate the Vice Admiral taking the time to meet with me on this important topic.
- Arkansas Society of Gasoline Marketers of America: I met with the Arkansas Society of Gasoline Marketers of America on Wednesday to discuss the impact of the Renewable Fuel Standard. Our conversation focused on the effects of the pending blend wall and the importance of finding a solution to this man-made, arbitrary target.