Basic Information About Government Operations During a Shutdown
Oct 1, 2013
The House has repeatedly passed legislation to fund the government and protect Arkansas from Obamacare. Regrettably, the Democratic Senate voted last night to keep its special exemption from Obamacare rather than keep the government open. The Senate’s unwillingness to compromise is disappointing and will cause needless inconvenience for Arkansans, who remain overwhelmingly opposed to Obamacare. But it seems President Obama and Senator Reid are determined to shutdown the government rather than listen to the people they represent. As I continue to fight for Arkansans and against Obamacare and resolve this situation, I wanted to provide you with some basic information about government operations during a shutdown:
- Veterans in receipt of disability compensation or pension checks will continue to receive those payments.
- Social Security benefits will continue to be sent out. This includes Social Security Disability payments.
- Medicare payments will continue to be dispersed and doctors will continue to see patients.
- The United States Postal Service will continue to deliver mail and will maintain other retail services.
- Food inspections and drug approvals as well as other FDA activities essential to ensure continued public health would continue to occur.
- FBI and other federal law enforcement officials will not be subject to furloughs. In addition, federal prisons will remain fully guarded.
- TSA officers will not be subject to furloughs and air-traffic controllers will continue to operate.
- Troops and their families will continue to be paid, thanks to a bill passed by the House of Representatives on Saturday and signed by the President last night.
Please click here for additional information that maybe in helpful in answering specific questions. Earlier today I announced I will donate my salary to charity for each day the government remains shutdown. During the shutdown, most of my staff will be furloughed, but my office will remain open to serve constituents. Please don’t hesitate to contact us if we can be of any assistance.